Last night, I gave the plenary session talk at the Mainstream conference in Swanwick. My theme was an analysis of how we live a Holy Spirit empowered ministry in our programme driven times. Here are some bullet points of the hour long talk! AS you can imagine, this is the very bare bones…
1) Do we create opportunity for spontaneity within the programme?
2) Are we under the governance of man or the governance of the Holy Spirit? Who is really leading our ministry? We should seriously consider this question.
3) What defines us? Our budgets and constitutions or Gods mission? Remember, God always pays for what he orders and He has ordered mission? Do not let fear define you.
4) We will miss the divine spark if we do not challenge our structures.
5) 1Cor 16. Paul is vague about his plans but certain about his faith. We have become vague about faith but certain with our plans!
6) Do not be afraid to ditch the program or allow for Holy Spirit led opportunism within the schedule.
7) When people start to wave constitutions at us and talk about the rules, perhaps its a sign that we are on the right track!
8 ) Beware insecurity. We should be surrounding ourselves with people who out run, out gun, out speak, out lead us…Some networks and leaders have not handed over soon enough. We should be thinking about the handover from the moment we start…
9) Are you obstructing a work of God through human reason and insecurity?
10) Are we living on the edge or staying comfortable?
11) If we believe in the power of the gospel to change lives and the glory and majesty of the Kingdom of God, why do we form committees to buy coffee machines? Get serious about the right things.
12) Michelangelo loved to do sculpture as he said it was the nearest he could get to mimicking the divine nature…but that is not a patch on the beauty of every single person. Our job as leaders is to release people and to see them flourish. We are meant to be giving people a shot at goal, not be goal keepers!
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” Marianne Williamson
The full talk can be found via mainstream and hopefully we will get a podcast up…